Tuesday, January 9, 2007

Week # 1: Introduction - Writing

This is the first post of many. I started Beyond Mere Survival a couple of days ago. I found myself unable to get to bed, with the words there, so I just stayed up until 2:00am until they all came out. Tonight, I was able to get the introduction and a bit about my "incident" out of the way. That's a relief to have that over with, let me tell you. It's still a difficult thing to handle/talk about/consider, some 4+ years later. I anticipate that will get better with time.

I just remembered that I'm going to want to have a section for really recent survivors sandwiched in between the intro and the details about my incident. That way, people can get what they need right up front and center in case of emergency. Obviously, I would hope that if someone had just been attacked, they wouldn't sit down and pick up my book, but it bears mentioning just in case.

The Whys for the Book:
Some may wonder why I'm getting this book together now. This is part innovation/necessity on my part and part of a challenge. Barbara Sher, noted author and wonderfully helpful smartypants, suggests:

"Pick a project for 07, not something difficult or dreary but something enjoyable that you never seem to find time for, and work on it at least once each week. Then write about what you did that week on your new blog. (Having a blog just got so easy, you can do it by accident.) Then, if you want people to come see what you've done, send them an email with an announcement and link to the blog."

So that's what I'm doing. Barbara's tips have worked wonders for me personally in the past, so I figured now was a good time to let the challenge push me to new heights. Also, my friend got me connected with someone who leads workshops for those recovering from trauma, so I'm getting some ideas from this really wonderful connection. The lesson here, folks?: Talk to the people around you about the wackadoo, wild hare ideas you have. They'll help you live them.
Till next week,
R.